Welcome to the 2015-16 academic year! We’re thrilled to have students back on campus and we welcome those who are just beginning their exciting new journey at UC.
Last week on August 17, Dr. Welch held the annual Opening Session for UC faculty and staff. New employees were recognized, well-deserved awards were given, and the excitement for innovation in the upcoming year began to thrive.
The Shell Award for teamwork was presented to Glenn Johnson, Steve Ballard, Mike Buckner, Gary Boyd (and many more) for the coordination of the Beckley move.
- Innovation Center/Parking: Construction for The Russell & Martha Wehrle Innovation Center is on schedule. Roofing on the building should begin around Christmas. As we all know, we have lost parking spaces due the construction (99 to be exact). Please consider parking in the parking garage. Spots are plentiful (and you will likely burn some extra calories)! :)
- Development/Fundraising: $16 million has been raised for the Innovation Center construction, programming and scholarships. Approximately $2 million is still needed to complete the project and plaza area.
Faculty and staff: There have been many recent questions regarding fundraising by academic programs. Please contact VP of Development, Deborah Morris, for a copy of the fundraising policy and/or a fundraising approval form.
- Admissions, Student Life: This summer, we had 900 students taking classes. 2,246 students registered for the Fall semester (note: this was the number on August 17. An updated number will be provided after freeze day). Over 750 students are staying in our residence halls.
- The Communications Office would like to remind you of the newly updated job request system. The job request system is not just for print jobs, but also for photography/videography requests, social media inquiries, and PR needs. You are highly encouraged to submit a formal request for any event in which you would like promotion assistance and/or coverage. To access the job request system: Go to the Faculty/Staff page via the homepage –> refer to the Marketing section –> click on “project request form.”
- Exciting news for the entire university: The HLC has reaffirmed our accreditation!
Athletics Updates via Megan Bauman
A new academic year also marks the beginning of another exciting season for our Golden Eagles! As we all know, the Eddie King gym will no longer be used for games this year. We’re going to have some location changes for home games, but we don’t want this to effect attendance. We want to see a strong student presence at every game! Let’s show our opponents how supportive and proud the UC community really is. We’re actively working on providing shuttles to each home game. Stay tuned for a schedule! Below are the locations for Fall sport home games:
- Football – Laidley Field (East End)
- Men’s Soccer – Schoenbaum (Coonskin Park)
- Women’s Soccer – Trace Fork (Southridge)
- Women’s Volleyball – Charleston Catholic Athletic Complex (NOTE: Complex, not School – 10 Dee Drive, Charleston, WV 25311)
- Women’s Tennis – Schoenbaum Courts (Kanawha City)
It’s going to be an exciting season for UC Football! We expect EVERYONE to be at the game on October 1, broadcasted live on ESPN 3! This isn’t an event you’ll want to miss. Check out the football schedule for upcoming games and giveaways to be excited about:
9/3 – Season Opener vs. Notre Dame College
– Maroon Madness – Free shirts to the first 500 student attendees
– Field Goal Contest to win $25,000! (you probably won’t want to miss this one, either!)
9/19 – Youth Day vs. Glenville
– All kids free w/ adult admission
– Mini UC football giveaway
– Youth halftime competition
– Post-game autograph session
10/1 – ESPN 3 Game vs. Concord
– Gold Rush – Free shirts to the first 1,000 student attendees
– Purina Dare Devil Dog Show at halftime
– Post-game fireworks display
10/17 – Homecoming Game vs. Fairmont State
– Hall of Fame Inductees Announced
-Much more (TBA)
For a complete schedule of all athletic events, please visit:
Recap: Campus Events
New faces arrived on campus this past Friday, August 21. UC faculty and staff helped to ensure a smooth check-in process, while existing UC students, many of them athletes and members of campus organizations, offered a tremendous helping hand during move-in. The tall guy himself made several appearances around campus and welcomed new students and their families to the UC community.
The office of Student Leadership & Engagement has been working hard to plan several fun events for the entire year ahead. The good times kicked off during Orientation this weekend to welcome new faces in true UC fashion. Events included a fiesta, the Amazing Race/Color Run and the Golden Eagle Mixer. The fun will continue all week long during #ImGoldWeekofWelcome! Check out the following highlights thus far:
Mark your calendars for the Nexus for Leadership Symposium which will be held on October 11th and 12th. This year’s theme, Leadership in a Dynamic Environment, is carried through academic presentations and professional development sessions and is capitalized by our keynote speaker, Eric Olson, who is a Retired 4-Star U.S. Navy Admiral and professional speaker on the topic of leadership. Net proceeds from the event will be donated, at equal percentages, to UC Military Student Scholarships and to Gold Star Families, an organization honoring the families of our military members who have fallen in combat. Contact Emily Bess for more information – (304)352-0032, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students: Includes 2-day Symposium, Meals and Keynote.
–Early Registration: Sept. 1, $129
-Registration: Oct. 11, $149
General: Includes 2-day Symposium, Meals, and Keynote
-Early Registration: Sept. 1, $179
-Registration: Oct. 1, $199
-Late Registration: Oct. 10, $229
-Day-of Registration: Oct. 11, $249
Meet & Greet Reception with Admiral Olson: Includes Keynote address
–Early Registration: Sept. 1, $249
-Registration: Oct. 11, $259
Keynote: Includes keynote only
-Early Registration: Sept. 1, $39
-Registration: Oct.11, $49
It’s been an excellent first week on campus so far– let’s keep it going! Best wishes to each of our students, faculty and staff members for a great year ahead. If you want even more excitement about the new academic year, check out the latest UC videos courtesy of Brock Burwell:
- Welcome Back: How UC prepares campus for a new year: http://bit.ly/1JgZEct
- Dr. Brownlee’s Welcome Message to students: http://bit.ly/1JfbXpJ
- Welcome, Class of 2019, from your fellow students: http://bit.ly/1U4f7qE
This issue of The Talon was prepared by Lauren Townsend, Digital Media Specialist. Photos and video produced by Brock Burwell, Photographer/Videographer. Do you have something you’d like to include in next month’s Talon? Email email@example.com.