We need your student stories! The UC Office of Communications needs you to share the stories of your graduating seniors that may be good features for television or newspaper. Do you have a student who has gone to great lengths, or made personal sacrifices to earn their UC degree? Do you know of a non-traditional student who came back to school, or has worked on their degree part-time over several years? Please contact Scott Castleman (firstname.lastname@example.org) to share your stories today.
- Help support Theta Kappa Pi by attending their Quaker Steak fundraiser tonight! Coupon is needed. Please see a Theta Kappa Pi member for a coupon.
- UC Relaxation week starts today, right in time to get relaxed before finals!- Tuesday, April 23rd will feature yoga at noon on the riverbank, sponsored by the Student Government Association.- Wednesday, April 24th will feature an oxygen bar and massage chairs from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. in the food court and dirt cake with gummies from 11 a.m-1 p.m. in the food court.
– On Thursday, April 25th you can make your own stress balls from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. in the GSU lobby, sponsored by the Student Government Association. Later, you can join the Residence Hall Association for the Summer Break Bash at 5pm on the Ratrie Lawn.
– Friday, April 26th features the UC Street Fair from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. on the Riverbank, sponsored by Freshmen First Year Experience. Students can also Doodle to Distress all day in the Food Court, sponsored by the Student Government Association.
– Saturday, April 27th is UC Preview Day and includes a concert at 4 p.m. on the riverbank.
– Sunday, April 28th is the UC Half Marathon at 7 a.m. and Midnight Breakfast from 11 p.m.-1 a.m. in the café.
- Join us on Saturday, April 27 on UC’s beautiful riverfront lawn for a special concert featuring the Davisson Brothers, Owen Schmitt and Joe Taxi. The event is sponsored by WQBE. Learn more here: http://www.ucwv.edu/admissions/Preview_Day/
- At UC-Beckley, Appalachian Visions presents: “An evening of Irish and Carter Family bluegrass music with Isle of Woodlawn and The Songcatchers.” The Songcatchers are a multi-generational music group led by UC-Beckley’s Dr. Everett Lilly. The concert takes place on Saturday, April 27 at 6:00 p.m. in the John W. Eye Conference Center at UC-Beckley. Admission is free to the public, and refreshments will be served by the UC Student Social Work Organization.
- The School of Business is hosting an Open House on Wednesday, May 1 from 5-7 p.m. for students interested in their executive master’s programs. The event will be held in the Equities House in downtown Charleston. Learn more here: www.ucwv.edu/events/OpenHouse.aspx
- Commencement is coming! UC-Charleston Commencement will be held on Sunday, May 5 at 2:00 p.m. on the UC Riverfront Lawn, while UC-Beckley Commencement will be held on Saturday, May 11 at 10:00 a.m. at the Beckley-Raleigh County Convention Center.
- Get ready for an unforgettable day of inspiration, learning, networking, and more. Chick-fil-A Leadercast is one of the largest events of its kind, broadcasting world-renowned content to hundreds of locations around the world. Join us on on May 10 as we serve as the exclusive host site for Charleston, W.Va. You will hear from some of the world’s top leaders, including former Chairman & CEO of General Electric Jack Welch, Duke basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski, and former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice. You can expect to be challenged. Inspired. Encouraged. You will learn how to improve your own leadership skills and also have the opportunity to network with other leaders in your area. To learn more about this incredible event, visit: http://www.chick-fil-aleadercast.com/location/universityofcharleston
- The UC Volleyball Program is putting on multiple volleyball camps this summer.
– June 17-19 Beginners & Intermediate Levels: UC-Beckley
– August 5-9 Intermediate & Advanced Levels: Charleston
– August 12-16 Beginners & Intermediate Levels: Charleston
For more information, visit the official website: www.charlestonvolleyballcamps.com
- The women’s golf team struggled with bad conditions and injuries at their Southern Regional competition this past weekend, but they still managed to finish fifth out of nine teams. After the completion of the Southern Regional, the WVIAC announced the women’s golf yearly honors. Freshman Kelli Garrett made First-Team all-conference and Sophomore Kenzi Turner made Second-Team!
- The men’s tennis team beat Cedarville University (Ohio) 9-0 on Tuesday, West Liberty 5-1 on Friday, and West Virginia Wesleyan 5-4 on Saturday! They came close to an undefeated week, but fell to Bluefield State 5-0 on Sunday.
- The baseball team lost to Fairmont State 7-2 on Wednesday. They fell in their first game of a three-game series against Ohio Valley this past weekend, but came back and won the next two. The team travels to West Liberty this Tuesday and then to West Virginia State for the weekend.
- The softball team won both of their games against Shepherd University on Saturday, 11-2 and 9-0! They took on Seton Hill on Sunday and won the first game 6-1, but came short in the second game 4-2. The team takes on Bluefield State away on Tuesday and Concord University away on Wednesday. They come home for Glenville State at 2 p.m. on Friday, and Ohio Valley at 1 p.m. on Saturday.
- The men’s golf team took fourth place out of 15 teams at the two day Spadafora Invitational hosted by Indiana University of Pennsylvania last weekend. UC senior Jamin Smith finished second overall! The team is finishing up this past weekend’s Cal-Pa. Invitational today.
- The women’s track and field team is hosting the UC Last Chance meet this Tuesday, before heading to Glennville State for the WVIAC meet this weekend.
This Talon was prepared by UC junior Megan Bauman. Megan is a communications major interning in the UC Communications Office, and a member of the women’s soccer team.
Please print and post if there are people in your department who do not have access to email. Have news you’d like to share? Email email@example.com