Attention UC students, faculty, and staff: We will be testing our emergency alert systems this Thursday. Please take the time to update your contact information and add your cell phone number to the system so that you will be able to receive the alerts this Thursday and during any potential emergency situations throughout the year. Please share this information with your classmates, coworkers, and friends on campus. Follow the steps in the graphic above to update your information.
President Welch today announced a total enrollment of 1,935 students for the 2013-14 school year, marking the highest since 1974.
The total enrollment tops the Spring 2013 mark of 1,884 to stand as the highest number since 1974. UC-Charleston’s total enrollment for the Fall 2013 is 1,409, up 66 percent from 10 years ago. UC’s regional locations, which opened in January 2013 and include UC-Beckley, UC-Martinsburg and UC-Online, currently enroll 526 students.
Q: When will we have an H.R. person?
A: We have had to re-advertise the position. We are doing so now and will push the process as quickly as we can.
Q: Will Cox Hall be open this year?
A: Cox Hall is being used for administrative purposes, primarily for football offices. It is not being used as a student residence hall.
Q: Will there be a new gym building?
A: There will be one some day, but it won’t happen this year. We continue to raise money to meet the $18.5 million needed for Phase I. We have added a couple of significant gifts over the past year, but we have not yet secure a large naming gift for the facility.
Q: What is going to be done with the old alumni house?
A: For the time being, it will remain as it is. When we have the funds and the plans to use the space for other purposes, it will be taken down.
Current UC Students: PASS is UC’s mentoring program that connects YOU with alumni in your career path who are established professionals in your aspiring profession. Are you looking for networking opportunities, or do you have questions about your respective job market, want someone to review your cover letter/resume, or simply need TIPS from the experts? Sign up today for more information: http://www.ucwv.edu/PASS/
- Professor Ray Yeager’s art show, titled “In Rerum Natura,” will be on display September 10 through November 14 in Bluefield College’s Art Gallery in Lansdell Hall. Open and free to the public, the exhibit will run from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m., Monday through Friday. Weekend hours may be obtained by calling the BC Art Department at 276-326-4558 or by e-mailing the BC Office of Public Relations at email@example.com. Visit http://www.bluefield.edu/article/yeager-art-show-brings-abstract-to-bc/ to learn more!
- Washington Post writer, movie producer and author of the new book “The Butler: A Witness to History,” Wil Haygood will kick off the 2013-14 University of Charleston Speaker Series sponsored by Dow Chemical Company Foundation on Tuesday, Sept. 24th: http://tinyurl.com/mzpfkw4
- UC will host the WV High School Quiz Bowl Kick-Off tournament on September 28, 2013 on the UC campus in Charleston, W.V.a. All teams will play morning and afternoon rounds. http://www.ucwv.edu/QuizBowl/
The men’s golf team won the Urbana University Dye Gold Invitational. UC’s Thibaut Carmignano who won the event by one stroke. All-Region performer Jamin Smith finished five strokes behind Carmignano to finish in third. Harry Howell rounded out the top five for the Golden Eagles with 154 strokes. http://ucgoldeneagles.com/news/2013/9/10/MGOLF_0910132907.aspx
The volleyball team started their year off with a bang, beating all four of their opponents to finish first at the Glenville State Tournament. http://ucgoldeneagles.com/news/2013/9/9/WVB_0909132024.aspx
UC women’s tennis’ Ana Maria Pena went undefeated at singles at the Converse Fall Classic in Spartanburg, S.C. http://ucgoldeneagles.com/news/2013/9/9/WTEN_0909135045.aspx
The women’s soccer team beat Lake Erie College 4-1 on Sunday. http://ucgoldeneagles.com/news/2013/9/8/WSOC_0908130846.aspx
The women’s cross country team started their season at Virginia Tech Friday evening in a 4k race. Kourtney Willey was the top finisher for UC, coming in 17th place overall with a time of 15:28. http://ucgoldeneagles.com/news/2013/9/7/WXC_0907130958.aspx
The UC football team opened the season with a 44-14 road loss to Shaw. Read a recap of the game here: http://ucgoldeneagles.com/news/2013/9/7/FB_0907133541.aspx
This Week in Sports:
- Women’s soccer takes on Ashland at 6 p.m. tomorrow and Shepherd on Saturday at 2pm. Both games are at Trace Fork.
- Men’s soccer plays Alderson Broaddus at 7 p.m. tomorrow and Shepherd on Saturday at 7 p.m. Both games are at Coonskin Park.
- Volleyball hosts the UC Tournament this weekend. Come cheer them on Friday night at 7p.m. and Saturday at 2p.m. and 7p.m. All games are in the Eddie King Gym.
- Women’s tennis plays Fairmont on Saturday at 11 a.m. and Southern Indiana at 1 p.m. on Sunday. Both games are at home.
- The women’s golf team is heading to Erie CC for the weekend.
- Cross country is away at Coastal Carolina this weekend.
- Football heads to Southern Illinois for a 3 p.m. kickoff Saturday.
- Men’s golf will be in Daniels, W.Va. early next week for the Glade Springs Invitational.
This Talon was prepared by UC senior Megan Bauman. Megan is a communications major interning in the UC Communications Office, and a member of the women’s soccer team.
Please print and post if there are people in your department who do not have access to email. Have news you’d like to share? Email firstname.lastname@example.org